Basic science research studying heat shock proteins in mammalian cell cultures by Roeland Van Wijk, Ph.D., from the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands has repeatedly confirmed the validity of the simile principle. (1)(2) On the clinical side, studies have suggested a positive treatment association when homeopathic medicines are used in the treatment of allergic rhinitis (3), fibrositis (4), influenza (5), childhood diarrhea (6), and asthma (7).
The prestigious medical journal Lancet recently published a comprehensive meta-analysis of the randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials which have been conducted in homeopathy. (8) Analysis of the 89 trials with a consistent high quality methodology revealed consistently positive results for homeopathy when compared with placebo.
In France, research on cost-effectiveness has shown that the annual cost to the Social Security System for homeopathic treatment is 15% less than that of conventional treatment and the price of the average homeopathic medicine is one third that of standard drugs. (9) Paolo Bellavite has masterfully summarized the state of homeopathy in his comprehensive book: Homeopathy: A Frontier in Medical Science. (10)
- Van Wijk R, Wiegant FAC. The Similia Principle as a therapeutic strategy: A research program on stimulation of self-defense in disordered mammalian cells. Alternative Therapies. 1997:3:33-38.
- Van Wijk R, Wiegant FAC. Cultured Mammalian Cells in Homeopathic Research: The Simile Principle in Self-recovery. Utrecht, the Netherlands. Utrecht University. 1994:1-230.
- Reilly DT, Taylor MA, McSharry C, Aitchison T. Is homœopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of homœopathic potency, with pollen in hayfever as model. Lancet. 1986;ii: 881-5.
- Fisher P, Greenwood A, Huskisson EC, Turner P, Belon P. Effect of homeopathic treatment on fibrositis (primary fibromyalgia). Br Med J. 1989; 299:365-6.
- Ferley JP, Smirou D, D'Adhemar D, Balducci F. A controlled evaluation of a homeopathic preparation in the treatment of influenza-like syndromes. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1989;27:329-35.
- Jacobs J, Jimenez LM, Gloyd S, Gale J, Crothers, D. Treatment of acute childhood diarrhea with homeopathic medicine: a randomized clinical trial in Nicaragua. Pediatrics. 1994:93:719-25.
- Reilly D, Taylor MA, Beattie NGM, et. al. Is evidence for homeopathy reproducible? Lancet. 1994;344:1601-6.
- Linde K, Clausius N, Ramirez G, et. al. Are the clinical effects of homeopath placebo effects? A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled trials. Lancet.1997;350:834-43.
- Health are professionals in private practice in 1990. Paris, France: Social Security Statistics. 1991; CNAM publication no 61.
- Bellavite P, Homeopathy: A frontier in Medical Science. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books; 1995.
The above document was taken from the American Institute of Homeopathy